Need advice? Call now on 01639 888833


4.94 based on 14,132 reviews

How to Change Your Address With The DVLA

Moving to a new house is exciting as well as tiring due to the amount of work involved in the process from paperwork to packing etc. One thing people often overlook when moving to a new house is updating the address on their driving licence and supporting documents and many are also not aware that failing to update these details can get you a fine of up to £1000.00.

So the question is where to change your address on the driving licence and who to contact regarding this? In this article, we will cover all these concerns to make it easier for you the next time to move to a new house.

Who Are The DVLA?

DVLA or Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency is the organisation in the UK that is responsible for maintaining a database of all the vehicles currently being driven in the UK and Northern Ireland. This agency is responsible for maintaining your license information and are the people who should be contacted when you want to update your details.

How To Change The Address On Your Driving Licence?

Updating the address information on your driving licence is simple and can be done via the DVLA’s online service. It is also free of charge to do so and you can continue to drive while you are waiting for your new licence to arrive.

To update the address on your licence, you should have your current licence, provide your previous addresses of three years, be a resident of Great Britain and you should not have been banned from driving. Moreover, you need to provide a driving licence number, National Insurance number, and also the passport number.

If you need to update the photo, you will have to apply for the renewal of your licence.

Updating the V5C Logbook

Updating the vehicle logbook (V5C) is also necessary when you change your residential address and this can be done for free as well through the online portal. The online service is available from 7 am to 8 pm.

You may not use the online service if you have already sent your V5C logbook to the DVLA, your V5C logbook has been missing, you have sold or transferred your vehicle, your vehicle is registered as a part of the DVLA Fleet Scheme, or if your new address is outside of UK.

Updating Direct Debit Mandate

If your vehicle tax is deducted automatically through direct debit then you also need to update your direct debit mandate by contacting the DVLA via phone. They can be reached on 300 790 6802 from Monday to Friday from 8 am to 8 pm and on Saturdays from 8 am to 4 pm.

What if I have a Personalised Number Plate?

If you possess a personalised number plate that is not registered to any vehicle then you must also have a V750 certificate or V778 retention document. To update the address on the V750, simply create a DVLA personalised registration account. You can also complete the V750 or V778 registration form and post it to the following address: DVLA Personalised Registrations, Swansea, SA99 1DS.

Final Words

Changing your residence address on the driving license is necessary to avoid getting any fines. However, if you are moving someplace temporarily for example for studying then you may not be required to change the address. See our other guide on how to inform the DVLA you have sold your car.